Friday, August 22, 2014

Varying Degrees Of Happiness In Kindergarten

Today was hands down my favourite day of this week thusfar.  I got to see my twins on a non-parenting day.  Their school allows for parents to bring their children lunches and even eat with them, so I decided to bring the girls a surprise lunch today.

Actually it was pre planned.  Yesterday when we spoke on the telephone Sue, the younger of the twins, said that she wanted for me to bring her lunch and hang out.  But Sally,  the twin who doesn't seem to be 100% on board with loving me right now, actually told me not to bring her lunch and made it 200% crystal clear that she WAS NOT going to be sitting with Sue and I at lunch today.

I empowered Sally,  telling her that she had my complete permission to change her mind and that if she decided that she wanted lunch today to just have her mom send me her lunch request in the morning and that I would bring it to her.

I signed into the front office of the school without a moment to spare and briskly walked into the cafeteria wearing a bright yellow "Visitors Badge" around my neck.  I saw both Sue and Sally serrendipitiously next to one another.   Sally was standing,  vigorously rubbing sanitizer in her hands and Sue was seated patiently waiting for her meal.

A huge smile engulfed my face as I waved and approached my girls.   I simultaneously placed Sue ' s lunch in her hands as I gently placed my hand on Sally ' s upper back and asked them both how they were doing.   Sue responded with a joyously curt "good" and started enjoying her meal whilst Sally abruptly pulled away and screamed "I AM NOT EATING WITH YOU! " in front of whoever was paying attention.   Sue made a slight attempt to persuade her sister to eat with us but Sally had obviously made up her mind.

I probably had one of the most joyously rewarding dining experiences in my life having lunch with Sue and all her classmates.  Sue introduced me with pride to all her little friends and they all tried to tell me cool things at the same time.   Innocence,  wonder,  amazement,  curiousity and all things good filled the room.  I attempted to make eye contact with Sally,  who was sitting a few tables over, and get her attention numerous times during the meal without much success.   It was clear that Sally didn't want anything to do with me as she glared angrily back once and ignored all other attempts.

After eating we went out to the playground for a brief recess before the end of their lunch period.  Sue was so excited that I was going to play and have recess with her and talked about that a lot while we were eating.   Sue continued to introduce me to anyone who hadn't already met me as her "Daddy Jaxon" and was clinging on to me the entire play period.

Sally,  on the other hand played keep away from me and wouldn't  speak to or get near me.  At one point she sent a little boy over to 'beat me up' then start shooting me with fake guns.   She also had another group of her friends throw a football at me when I wasn't looking.  Guess I don't know for sure whether or not Sally prompted this behavior but it was coming from the group of kids she was playing with.

Suddenly,  the bell rung.  All kids quickly and obediently ran into their respective line's and I said bye to the girls.   Sue acknowledged me and told me how excited she was about getting to spend the weekend with me.  Sally acted like I wasn't even there.

Author Robert Fulgrum (sp) wrote a brilliant book entitled "Everything I Learned In Kindergarten".  In this book he shares various stories and talks about how various life rules are learnt in kindergarten like; play nice,  use your manners,  respect others etc.   Today's experience definitely proved his theory to be true.  The experience, although not 100% favorable due to Sally ' s disinterest and standoffishness,  was definitely joyously therapudic.

I definitely look forward to dining with Sue and Sally at school again at least one other time this school year.  There is much happiness that is derived from being in such an environment.  Maybe next time Sally will be the one introducing me to her friends.

Until we read again, 

Jaxon

p.s. Happy First Day of school to those of you with children starting either right before or right after Labour Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment