Thursday, July 24, 2014

A 121 Degree Walk To Remember

Negative Motivation and Extreme Exercise 



Phoenix broke extreme heat records for two days in a row now, the car thermometer read 121 but the official high was registered at 116 degrees.   At around 4:00 pm today I decided that it would be a good idea to take a 44 minute outdoor walk around the neighborhood.  In case you are wondering I am okay, other than the fact that I realised that it is time to get a different pair of sneakers. 

So what motivated me to participate in this extreme cardio session?   Some people have told me that it is because I am weird and that might have something to do with it however, the real reason is because of a fellow i ran into at work today. 

I was following this fellow on the sidewalk towards the front door of my office and I was kind of in a hurry because I was running late coming back from lunch.    This gentleman was walking r e a l l l l l l y slow,  probably in his mid to late 50's, was using a cane to walk and did not appear to be healthy by any stretch of the imagination.   Normally I would get annoyed if I was being slowed down by such a fellow but today I had a different reaction.    A voice started playing in my head which said, "Jaxon, if you don't start exercising regularly and eating better this could be your future."
   
This short mental movie was enough to make me walk for almost an hour in the scorching Arizona sun.   Now it's up to me to decide weather or not I want to use this image to motivate me to move away from a destination that I do not want to arrive to. 

Moral of the story is if you need some extra motivation to work towards your exercise and fitness goals maybe you just need to observe an unhealthy individual and realise that your sound nutritional choices and diligent exercise will help you travel down a more desirable spot.    

Until we read again, 

Jaxon

No comments:

Post a Comment